Keaton Kleiner (an LMHP in Omaha, Nebraska) and I discuss the difference between coping with life’s struggles in what he coins a “lazy versus intentional” way. We find that it’s important to know the difference because sex addicts can help themselves recover by learning intentional ways to cope with hardship.
Some of the topics we discuss:
- Why alcohol and pornography are some of the lazy skills
- Why even certain ways of “using God” can be lazy!
- Why masturbating leads to feelings of despair
- Why we end up substituting one addiction for another addiction
- How do we intentionally cope with life?
- One interesting intervention: Go ahead and view porn, but on one condition…
- How do people even get started being intentional when they have never learned how?
- The importance, and even the necessity, of group therapy.
Find Keaton at www.citycarecounseling.org/keaton-kleiner
Find Roy at www.newlegacycounseling.com
See you in the forum!